Re: 92 Scirocco

> A friend of mine when he moved to the states from germany wanted to
> bring his 16V Opel Callibra.

Those cars are SO cool looking!  GM made a twin of the Omega (although killing the
looks of it by putting all that chrome shit and huge taillights on it)...now they
need to make a twin of the Calibra.  I'd actually consider buying it, if it had the
European engine of course.  The turbo version would be nice.  But anyway...

> It was only going to cost him 600 dollars
> or so (1992) but once over here for the title to transfer almost
> everthing had to be redone on the car. All the lighting had to be
> brought up or down to U.S. spec, emmissons = new exhaust, even his turn
> signal relays had to be changed not to mention somehow getting the
> bumbers up to code. If I remember right it was like 2550-3000 dollars
> total. If I were to bring anything over it would be a Mini Cooper or a
> Rallye Golf.Just my $.2.

I checked into shipping my car I had in Germany (89 Scirocco Scala) and it was a
lot of cash to bring it to the States...probably not quite as much to bring to
Canada, tho?  The total was almost $6000.  Basically, everything that Richard
Fenton listed + the biggie... import tax.  $$$

-Mike
95 GTI VR6
92 GTI 16V