Re: suspension gurus II

At 10:56 AM +0300 9/19/97, Arno Pae wrote:
>Hi,
>
>no that the topic's up, I also have suspension questions, :-(.
>
>I have 86 8v rocco, Eibach springs, a inch or so lower than stock.
>When I find a pothole (very easy over here!!!), the front totally falls
>through, I had a crack in my damn body of the car. On the highway I keep
>getting wheelrub (back) and constantly hit my head agains the roof. I don't
>know what shocks the previous owner put in, anyway he did it 6 month ago.
>My mechanic once took one off the car, said it was perfect. All the
>wiseguys (tire service guys, engine diagnostics, etc, etc) keep telling me
>I have dead shocks.
>
>I don't know what to think. Anybody? Shawn? (special thanks to you for all
>the advice!)
>
>Arno

Sounds to me like the springs are too short, not stiff enough, and your
shocks are unable to handle the rate of the springs - IE, they might be
perfect for a stock spring, but for the shorter and stiffer Eibach, they're
not cutting it.  Make sense?  I had a similar problem when my shocks died
(Bilsteins) - rubbing, crappy ride, etc.  Got warranty shocks, had a shop
put the new ones in, better, but some problems - called Bilstein,
warrantied the springs, too(BTS 172 spring and shock package), got springs,
took shocks out, alas, those fuckers stole my blue Bilstein springs, put a
set of cut VW springs in instead with the wrong spring hat.  Bastards.
Anyhow, a spring can be too short/stiff with a good shock OR a dead shock
with a good spring.  Make sense?  Hope so, TTYS.

Mannix