Re: Burning Oil ='(

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:55:27 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
writes:
>speaking of rings..I know mine are shot..my bumper above my exhaust
>is getting black..@#@#$@%..so...is replacing the rings whatever a
>hard task?

Yup, especially if you don't know what your doing.

>What do I need?

You will need a head gasket kit, all the tools like the tool for the head
bolts. You will need a ridge reamer. You will need a cylinder hone. You
will need a torque wrench. (0-150 ft lbs) You will need a ring
installation tool. You will need calipers to determine if you need to
hone the cylinders or not. Basically, you will need a rebuilt short
block. By the time you buy all the tools to do the job right, you might
as well get a short block already done for you.

> I can easily remove the intake manifold
>to get to the head gasket cover thingy that covers the engine..and I
>think once i pull those bolts i need to buy some raceware stud bolt
>kit ir something and a torque wrench..

there s a special way to remove the head. If you do it wrong, you can
warp the head. The raceware stud bolts is a bit of an overkill for a
stock motor. Stock hardware will be fine, and wont cost as much. It might
be a good time to check into a few built motors from a few speed shops.
Maybe they will have a done for you within a price range. Remove and
install and your all done. You only get a little dirty this way!
The job your looking at really isn't for the beginner mechanic. (I don't
know what your mechanical abilities are, I just don't want you to get
over your head and end up costing you more in time and cash to get it all
fixed right.

>that what else do i need besides the o rings?

Doh!! Piston rings! :)

>once I pull the engine top of is it an easy swap
>or will I have to remove the cams..and retime and all that technical
>crap?..or do I let a shop do it?
>Ryan

Depending on the problem, you may just need to remove the head as a
complete unit and set it aside. I say, since its off, why have a valve
job done. Why not freshen it up a little. Makes perfect sense to me
anyways. That s why I suggest a long block from a tuner or something. As
much as it costs to have a 16V head rebuilt, why not just get one al
done, and done right for the matter. Makes sense, don't it. Unless your
poor like me and cant afford to even exhale and will end up doing the
whole job yourself anyways. (That s how I lurn so much! )

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and