Re: Ram air or Swiss Cheese ??

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:33:39 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
writes:
>Mines The BEST!!!!!

<patting him on the head> Yes it is!! I want you to believe that.....  :
)

>oh ok Ego aside...I don't think swiss cheesing is such a great
>idea..you're pulling in warm engine bay air from it. The BEST
>way I would imagine would be to mout an air scoupe on the hood
>on the driver's side, just past the back of the back of the
>headlights so it can go down, then up into the box..also this would
>add a spot like a sink drain curve to add a 'water wastegate' at the
>bottow of the hose curve ..just before it goes into the box so that
>water can drain out..also a few small drain holes in the box itself
>would'nt be too bad near the battery.

That would look kinda gaudy tho, don't you think?? Im not sure there is a
best way on our cars. Air scoops look funny on the hood for some reason.
Ive seen a few. Its just not right.
As ive said before, ive discovered that the hot air in the airbox is only
at 1st and 2nd gear speeds. Anything over that gets nice cool air into
the airbox. Wanna find out for yourself? Remove the spedo cable that runs
through the firewall. Now go drive. (be sure to wear shorts so you can
feel the air on your legs... and other appendages.. Whatever.) Also note
that the air your feeling is to the rear of the engine bay and not right
up there in front which is more apt to get cooler air sooner. Check out
what speeds gets you cool air on your leg and what speed transfers to hot
air. Im sure its not the most scientific way to determine the full
benefits of an open airbox but its the best I could come up with. (Heh! I
was stuck in stop & go traffic on the freeway when I learned this little
bit of info.) Especially since I didn't plan on figuring that out anyhow.
I had a busted spedo cable!
Hey, I bet with that free flowing grill mod, I bet your car gets even
more cool air at slower speeds!  : )

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and