Re: Help me suspension gurus!

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:00:58 -0500 Jim Buck <vwpride@mixi.net> writes:

>If you want great performance and long life in a shock, I'd hafta sway
>you toward the Bilsteins.  They claim that even after 100,000 miles,
>they still retain 98% damping efficiency.  Even if that's not so, they
>still maintain a lifetime replacement warranty, as does Koni.  I have
>had both brands on my Scirocco, and both are great, but Bilsteins
>LAST!
>I use Konis now because I autocross in E-stock, and they are a low
>pressure gas strut, and do not contribute to ride height.
>
>Jim

I'd like to share an experience with the good people at Bilstein. They
make good shocks, no problem there.
My chief complaint is their people. A few years ago, I went to the local
Bilstein shop here in San Diego and inquired about the rumor I heard that
they are producing an adjustable shock similar to the Koni shock and that
it would have additional adjustments that succeed the koni's abilities. I
was routinely promised within a month, its still being developed ect.
At the time, I wanted Bilsteins for my car and was pretty much set on
getting a set to use with my Lowering springs i had on the car at the
time. (I had stock KYB shocks, major sucky shock) Anyways, in the
meanwhile, they wanted to sell me another shock until the shock that I
wanted came out. No thanks, I got my mind set on that partictular shock,
so I will wait. And I waited, and waited, and waited all the while, being
told they were comming. MEanwhile the Potterman talked me into a set of
race springs and Konis. I've been happy ever since.
I hope the Bilstein people have changed their ways......

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and