Re: Help me suspension gurus!

Riley McDowall wrote:

> I need new shocks.  The Spax nonadjustables I've been riding on for 2 and a
> half years are not doing as well as they used to, so I've been surveying my
> options looking for a replacement.  I could save some $$ and get new Spax,
> but they won't last any longer the next time around.  I could also save $$
> by going with a Boge shock, but I don't see them working much better for my
> 16v or lasting much longer.  I've pretty much ruled out Koni because
> they're out of my price range, but Tokicos aren't.  Assuming they don't
> fail like they used to (apparently Tokico has finally acknowledged the
> problem and fixed it), do these shocks work well with my car?  Do they work
> better than a Bilstein Sport, for example?  That would be my other choice,
> based on Bilstein's rep; however I've heard the Sport is too harsh over
> little bumps and expansion joints.
>
> If anyone has any experience with either the Illumina or the Bilstein, I'd
> love to hear from you.  If you have race experience, that's even better - I
> plan to roadrace once or twice a year minimum.  My main priority is getting
> a shock that will work 'like new' for a long time.
>
> TIA for all help!!
>
>    _____ __ __ __ _  _____ __  __ _____ _____  __ __ _  __ _____ __  __
>   / ___// // // /// / ___//  |/ // ___// // / / // /| |/ // ___//  |/ /

If you want great performance and long life in a shock, I'd hafta sway
you toward the Bilsteins.  They claim that even after 100,000 miles,
they still retain 98% damping efficiency.  Even if that's not so, they
still maintain a lifetime replacement warranty, as does Koni.  I have
had both brands on my Scirocco, and both are great, but Bilsteins LAST!
I use Konis now because I autocross in E-stock, and they are a low
pressure gas strut, and do not contribute to ride height.

Jim