Help me suspension gurus!

I need new shocks.  The Spax nonadjustables I've been riding on for 2 and a
half years are not doing as well as they used to, so I've been surveying my
options looking for a replacement.  I could save some $$ and get new Spax,
but they won't last any longer the next time around.  I could also save $$
by going with a Boge shock, but I don't see them working much better for my
16v or lasting much longer.  I've pretty much ruled out Koni because
they're out of my price range, but Tokicos aren't.  Assuming they don't
fail like they used to (apparently Tokico has finally acknowledged the
problem and fixed it), do these shocks work well with my car?  Do they work
better than a Bilstein Sport, for example?  That would be my other choice,
based on Bilstein's rep; however I've heard the Sport is too harsh over
little bumps and expansion joints.

If anyone has any experience with either the Illumina or the Bilstein, I'd
love to hear from you.  If you have race experience, that's even better - I
plan to roadrace once or twice a year minimum.  My main priority is getting
a shock that will work 'like new' for a long time.

TIA for all help!!