Re: Vvvvvibrations.

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:42:15 -0500 (CDT) Christopher Mende
<csmende@iastate.edu> writes:
>Usefull details snipped!
>My front right strut mount is worn and has a little bit of play. Nothing
>huge. However, I can't seem to determine if it's coming from one side
>of the car or the other.... yet, come to think of it, the vibration is a

>bit more pronounced when I turn right on the steering wheel, (I
_think_...
>need to check that out..)
>
>So, could it be: Strut mount, wheel bearing, or even wheel
>alignment/balance?

Ah, its refreshing to see such details! :)
Strut bearings and mounts will have nothing to do with the vibration your
feeling. (IMHO)
It could be a wheel bearing but I would think you would hear a bad wheel
bearing before you ever feel it. Wheel alignment can do this depending on
the tires. If by some chance you have Biased ply tires this has been
known to cause a vibration. (I doubt you do tho.)

>I'm really tempted to get a 4-wheel alignment/balance just to see if
>that
>solves the problem...

>From everything you say here, it really sounds like a drive line balance
problem more than anything. Id start with rotating the tires (front to
rear, rear to front) and see if that changed the problem any. (you might
notice a vibration in the rear of the car and the front is magically
fixed. You might not feel it as mich as when the tires were on the front
but you will hear the vibrations some.) if this is the case (and easiest
to check) then just get the tires reballanced.

As the tires wear the wheel balance will change a little. Also depending
on the kind of roads you drive on the battering the front tires take can
also change the balance of the tires. I've got the stick on wheel weights
and have already lost one little weight. You may have thrown one.

Next it could be a CV joint. Usually when these are causing the vibration
its because the CV boot is torn and all the grease has slung out of the
side that has the hole causing an out of balance on the axle. Ive
experienced this phenomenon myself. A new boot and repack job fixed my
problem.

If it were a warped rotor (or two) you would more than likely only feel
the vibrations when braking.
Check it out and get back to us!

>Hopefully this is detailed enough. :) Any suggestions?

Great job Christopher!
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and