Re: Vvvvvibrations.

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, SHAWN C MEZE wrote:

|On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:42:15 -0500 (CDT) Christopher Mende
|<csmende@iastate.edu> writes:
|>Usefull details snipped!
|
|Ah, its refreshing to see such details! :)

Thanks :)

|Strut bearings and mounts will have nothing to do with the vibration your
|feeling. (IMHO)
|It could be a wheel bearing but I would think you would hear a bad wheel
|bearing before you ever feel it. Wheel alignment can do this depending on
|the tires. If by some chance you have Biased ply tires this has been
|known to cause a vibration. (I doubt you do tho.)

Mmmm, nope, but they're some what I feel are some crumby brand... USA-1
something or other w/ a neat little graphic of the US on them.... I could
be wrong about their quality!  The receipts show they were put on at some
Farm & Fleet type of store here in ole Iowa...

|>I'm really tempted to get a 4-wheel alignment/balance just to see if
|>that
|>solves the problem...
|

|Next it could be a CV joint. Usually when these are causing the vibration
|its because the CV boot is torn and all the grease has slung out of the
|side that has the hole causing an out of balance on the axle. Ive
|experienced this phenomenon myself. A new boot and repack job fixed my
|problem.

I did check the boots, they are begining to show surface cracks...time to
replace before any extended trips. They are leaking a tad where they seal
to the shaft.

|Check it out and get back to us!

~C

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu