Re: Little red light's a flashin'

On Mon, 15 Apr 1997, Jason Brunberg wrote:

|Hey folks, I have a question.  What exactly does that little red light
|on the temp meter tell the driver about?  All of a sudden this morning,
|the damn thing went off, and hasn't stopped blinking.  Temperature is
|exactlt where it should be, but seeing that light in the corner of my
|eye makes me nervous.
|
|	On a totally unrelated note, my tranny has also started to grind
|*everytime* I shift into 3rd (not bad for a 13 day old used
|transmission).  Oh well.
|
|	Thanks for any info.

Try stopping in neutral for a sec w/o changing the revs on the motor and
then switch into 3rd...this is how I drive, or I avoid 3rd as it always
grinds... double clutch that sucker.

I've heard many raves about synthetic oils solving the problems of sulfide
buildups on the syncros used in conventional oils... however, I also
understand that synths can eat away at these deposits/buildups which are
preventing leaks... Redline MTL is often touted.

I'd like to try a synth oil, but and afraid I may cause damange by
leakage in the inner seals...

How about this, everyone..... Why not use a synth as a kind of
treatment... simply run it a couple days/week until the possible buildups
are gone and the syncros do their job, then switch back to regular lube to
prevent seal leaks...  does this sound zany to anyone out there? Just
something I thought up...

~C

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu