Little red light's a flashin'

Hey folks, I have a question.  What exactly does that little red light
on the temp meter tell the driver about?  All of a sudden this morning,
the damn thing went off, and hasn't stopped blinking.  Temperature is
exactlt where it should be, but seeing that light in the corner of my
eye makes me nervous.

	On a totally unrelated note, my tranny has also started to grind
*everytime* I shift into 3rd (not bad for a 13 day old used
transmission).  Oh well.

	Thanks for any info.

jason
87 16V