Re: Vvvvvibrations.

Thanks for the recommendations so far from both dogmatic and mannix!

I will try switching my front/rear wheels today. I need to get a larger
ratchet, because I can't break the torque on the rear wheels w/ the 10"
one I have now. Some bastard REALLY cranked down those bolts. I was
putting my entire weight on that sucker. Fronts are just fine.

Also, to add to the situation: The inner cv joints were leaking pretty
good when I bought the car a couple months ago... I had the seals replaced
immediately.

~C

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, dogmatic wrote:

|Christopher Mende wrote:
|
|> Hello All! I'd like to see if someone can help he diagnose this
|> problem...
|>
|> I've got some vibration/rattling coming through my steering column
|> when I
|> get to about 75MPH.
|>
|> The vibration is also felt under heavy acceleration starting at low
|> speeds, though the vibration is not at all present at lower <65-70MPH.
|>
|> The vibration seems to follow a pattern of increasing and almost
|> dissapearing...the cycle is anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
|>
|> When I get to about 90-110MPH and then slow back down to legal speeds
|> the
|> vibration is even more noticeable. When slowing down from these
|> speeds, I
|> most often feel it on the brake pedal as well.
|
|CV Joint plain and simple, although try the alignment first, had the
|same problem, fixed it by replacing the inner cv check it out...

|--
|dharma
|
|85 scirocco 8v
|83 scirocco 8v (parting out)
|78 saab 99L (restoring for headache)
|
|http://www.cocoloco.com/david/rocco.htm

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu