Re: Vvvvvibrations.

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Christopher Mende wrote:

> I've got some vibration/rattling coming through my steering column when I
> get to about 75MPH.
> dissapearing...the cycle is anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
>
> When I get to about 90-110MPH and then slow back down to legal speeds the
> vibration is even more noticeable. When slowing down from these speeds, I
> most often feel it on the brake pedal as well.
>
> So, could it be: Strut mount, wheel bearing, or even wheel
> alignment/balance?

I'd personally guess wheel balance first.  I've only heard two types of
front bearing failure - the typical rumble, and a rhythmic thumping at all
speeds, sounds like the wheel is running over expansion joints.  When was
the last time you had the wheels balanced?  A quick and easy way to get an
idea of whether tire balance is a problem is to switch the fronts to the
back and go for a drive.  One of my street tires has a bad joint or
something, feels like a bad rotor, sorta thumps, especially under braking
- when it is on the front. When that tire  is on the back, the car feels
fine.  I'd rotate front to back first, then look elsewhere - if it goes
away front to back, get all four balanced.  An alignment typically does
not help these things, in my experience.  Probably a good idea to get the
tires balanced anyhow - as they wear, the balance changes, wheel weights
fall off, etc.  Best of luck!

Mannix