Vvvvvibrations.

Hello All! I'd like to see if someone can help he diagnose this problem...

I've got some vibration/rattling coming through my steering column when I
get to about 75MPH.

The vibration is also felt under heavy acceleration starting at low
speeds, though the vibration is not at all present at lower <65-70MPH.

The vibration seems to follow a pattern of increasing and almost
dissapearing...the cycle is anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute.

When I get to about 90-110MPH and then slow back down to legal speeds the
vibration is even more noticeable. When slowing down from these speeds, I
most often feel it on the brake pedal as well.

I've had the rack & pinion tightened, which decreased the amplification of
the sound/effect of vibration, but the origin of the vibraton is still
there.

I also had the steering linkages and and tierods checked out and they all
are apparently tight.

My front right strut mount is worn and has a little bit of play. Nothing
huge. However, I can't seem to determine if it's coming from one side of
the car or the other.... yet, come to think of it, the vibration is a bit
more pronounced when I turn right on the steering wheel, (I _think_...
need to check that out..)

So, could it be: Strut mount, wheel bearing, or even wheel
alignment/balance?

I'm really tempted to get a 4-wheel alignment/balance just to see if that
solves the problem...

Hopefully this is detailed enough. :) Any suggestions?

~C

  Christopher Mende        ICEMT @ Iowa State Uni
  Home: (515) 292-6658     Office: (515) 294-6738     "One, two, three!"
  bayern.me.iastate.edu    www.icemt.iastate.edu