Re: Da exhaust

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:55:52 -0700 shadrach@verinet.com writes:
>have to do it in two parts.  I was hoping someone(s) could give me an
>opinion which exhaust upgrade would give the most benefit or is it to
>close to worry about.  I was wondering if I would get more performance
>out of getting the 2" cat back with a Dynomax muffler, or getting the
>4-2 manifold and dual downpipe.  Any thoughts?  I can get the manifold
>for $20 but I think I would need a Techtonics or the such to supply
>the downpipe, maybe $120.  OK, so next topic, the cat.  Is it worth it
try
>to snag a 2" cat, I think from an Audi if I remember right, or is the
>improvement minimal?  That's all for now.  Thank you for your support!

For the most cost effective upgrade/gain, go with the dual outlet
manifold and downpipe first. Then the 2" system later. That C-clamp
manifold is the weakest link in the VW exhaust system. Updating to the
better flowing manifold is the way to go. I've managed to get 117hp at
the crank from my stock 1.8L JH motor with this exhaust system and a
stock cam on my DSP Scirocco! Even the Potterman is surprised as to how
well my car scoots in its current DSP legal configuration considering I
cant really touch the engine at all. With a cam, you should really feel
the benefits more so.
HTH!

Oh, I dunno if this was something as a bonus for my situation but I have
a diesel exhaust dual outlet manifold and a Eurosport dual downpipe with
the ox sensor hole in the downpipe. I may have stumbles upon some extra
ponies with this setup compared to the gas dual outlet manifold. I dunno
for sure. <shrug>

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and