Re: Self-machined?

>	Right now, that GLi's tranny crunches something awful into 2nd gear
>when it's cold.  I'd really like to try some other gear oil, but all the
>mechanics I've talked to say that Castrol Synthetic does the job
>perfectly.  The guy that actually put the tranny in for me has been
>using Castrol in his race-prepped Jetta for years with narry a problem
>to speak of. Ahhh, the stories he would tell me of pulling away from the
>the Camaros and other V8s...on the straights as well as the twisties.

He's lying.  Sorry.  A GT4 Jetta (VW for that matter) *might* be able to
out accelerate a stock Camaro on a straight.  A GT1 Mustang vs a GT4 VW, GT
being the level of prep - so we're not comparing hotrodded cars with stock
ones - well, the GT1 car will turn faster laptimes.  A GT/IT VW could
probably put some space on a _stock_ Camaro/Mustang, but the straights
would take care of that.

Mannix(and we did not even get into the driver - I've turned laptimes in
the low 139s on our trials course, where some Corvette drivers are in the
mid to high 140s, on race tires, just like me.  Car or driver?  A stock
Corvette is capable of a 136 on that track.  FWIW.

Mannix