Re: 16V drive axle O.D.?

> I just had a new driver's side drive axle put on by my mechanic on Friday.
> Since I have a Scirocco 16V (88), I thought both axles were supposed to
> be oversized somewhat - anyway, the new one he put on is significantly
> thinner in diameter than my passenger's side axle.
<snip>

Not a problem.  Yes, they are supposed to be different diameters.  They are
supposed to mass about the same amount to reduce torque steer.  Think
about it, the passenger side shaft needs to be longer because the tranny
is positioned near the drivers side.  The mass is partially made up by
making the longer passenger side shaft hollow, and drivers side thinner
and solid.  Hey, while I've got mine out of the car, maybe I could weigh
them...

> TIA,
> -Dan
>
> PS - I tried to find this in Bentley, but it was no there.  And the Parts
> guy I called was less than communicative.  :(

Why am I not suprised by the PP attitude...hmmm

==Brett