Self-machined?

> Reason I wrote, the 87 16v transmission is one of those susceptible to the
> "self machining syndrome," if I am not mistaken.  Does not really sound
> like yours "self machined," but it could have, it'd make sense....
>
> Mannix(4 out of 5 _is_ bad?)

	"Self-machined"?  I do know that I don't know for sure what the dead
tranny was originally intended for.  In other words, the dreaded
previous owner had a different tranny, or at least had some tranny work
done before I got my grubby paws on it.

	Right now, that GLi's tranny crunches something awful into 2nd gear
when it's cold.  I'd really like to try some other gear oil, but all the
mechanics I've talked to say that Castrol Synthetic does the job
perfectly.  The guy that actually put the tranny in for me has been
using Castrol in his race-prepped Jetta for years with narry a problem
to speak of. Ahhh, the stories he would tell me of pulling away from the
the Camaros and other V8s...on the straights as well as the twisties.

jason
87 16V