Re: Cylinder Head and Supertrap

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:41:04 -0600 Iain Mannix <mannix@privatei.com>
writes:

>I'd tend to agree.  Annoying.  Sorry, Brad.  Supertrapps resonate
>badly on VWs - a local competitor has an ITB Rabbit w/Supertrapp - no
interior,
>roll cage, etc, you'd expect it to resonate.  OK, that's cool.
Recently,
>someone else showed up with an 82 Rabbit 4 door(Alan?  You alive?) and
>a Supertrapp - full interior, and it sounded just like the ITB car.
>Resonated, hollow sounding, feel like I'm in a trashcan......

Not only that above but especially on RX-7's they are not only gawd
awfully loud, but highly annoying. (Like having a swarm of bees orbiting
around your head.) Of course im talking about the autox course. We have a
92db limit and they often fail the limit.
At the last night race at Devore, there was no db limit and the RX-7's
opened them things up and the sound was enough to make your spine crawl.

>> The nice thing about the Borlas and
>>some others, is that they have a much quieter 'burble' at idle and
>>when not really getting on it, while the Supertrapp is always loud.
>>
>>Brad
>
>Gotta put in my 2c for the Flowmaster.  It is loud, but not in the car
>the sound stays outside, it flows well(FWIW, Supertrapps are not known
>to make the best power on VWs - not bad, but there are better), only
>downside to the Fmaster is weight, about 15 pounds more than the
competition.
>Darrell Adams has one, he seems to like it.  Mine is 2-3 years old
>now, still in great shape.  TTYS!
>
>Mannix

15lbs?? Um. No. I cant believe they weigh that much. Id guess maybe 3
pounds is pushing it. (Maybe im just talking about my Ultra flow
muffler.) My ultra flow helped to give my otherwise stock JH a 117hp at
the crank dyno test, so it must flow well. The sound is kinda stealthy.
At low throttle uses and just cruising around town the sound is rather
quiet. When I get on the throttle it gets loud enough to sound like im on
the throttle. Suite my needs while keeps the local law from looking too
closely at the sound it makes.
Anyways...

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and