Re: Cylinder Head and Supertrapp

>Sorry if this header is messed up....Anyways
>
>Most of you guys must not be well experianced with the super trap at all if
>you base your judgement on sound only.

  Sound is important. In certain places, police base tickets on sound only:)

>I have a super trap on my car and they have to be the MOST configureable
>exhaust out there. I mean all you have to do to change the sound is add or
>subtract a few relief plates. All you guys have ever heard are the guys
>running no relief plates (which sounds like hell's thunder). But I would
>have to say that this is not (i would hope not) the normal settings for
>these exhausts. Mine is so quiet that people (When they do not look) do not
>believe that i have a super trap. I too thought they were way to boisterous
>and told my local vw parts place they could stick there super trap until
>the owner took me out to his G60 GTI and showed me how it sounded. It
>sounds great. I know everyone likes a differant sound but I have seroisly
>yet met a person who does not like the sound of my super trap over the more
>expensive Borla. I would also like to add that the super trap (with the
>plates in) release a hell of alot more pressure. I wish people would set
>these exhausts up right so they do not get such a bad rep. BTW anyone who
>wishes to get one, Invest in the stainless steel. Its gourgous!

  I tried mine with various configs, from 4 to 12 plates, settling on
around 6(its been a coupla years). With less than 6, I could really feel
the top end power start to drop off, more than 8 or so, and it started
losing low end. 6 seemed good because it wasn't incredibly obnoxiously loud
like some other Supertrapp setups I've heard. The ability to feel the power
band slide up and down the RPMs as you add/remove plates was kinda cool,
and if I wanted to start pissing people off, I could always remove the end
cap:). But unless I removed enough plates that the thing felt gutless, it
just wasn't as quiet as other mufflers at idle. While I didn't have a pre
muff. or cat conv. to quiet it down, my car was still ALOT louder than
other cars with similar custom exhausts, but different brand mufflers. A
buddy had a Borla on a 2.2 16V Celica, and that thing sounded incredible!
It got loud, but only if you stomped on it. And as far as the amount of
backpressure resultant from them, a well designed multichambered muffler
can significantly reduce noise, with a relatively minor
amount of increase in backpressure over a straight thru muffler. And when
you tune your Supertrapp so that you have some lowend, you probably wind up
adding more backpressure than the other design has, and the other muffler
will still be quieter.
  I've seen many other cars with Supertrapps, and they must not bother to
tune them for anything but maximum loudness, I've seen quite a few with 12+
discs on engines similar sized to ours or smaller.
  One plus for the Supertrapp is that I got the painted black muffler for
around $100, which is a good bit cheaper than some other high performance
mufflers.

Brad