Re: Replacing Rear Window Defrost Fuse?

> Can anyone please help me?  I am needing to change the fuse of my rear =
> window defrost.  I think that is the problem at least.  I have tried to =
> push it over and it just won't go anywhere so that is why I am thinking =
> it is possibly that I need to replace the fuse.  Does anyone know what =
> number I need?  Any help would be much appreciated, because living up =
> here in the great white tundra I really use my rear defrost a lot!  =
> Thanks so much!
> Carrie Ann :)
> '87 Scirocco 16 V

Hi Carrie!

This must be a common problem. My defroster switch failed the same way.
For some reason, the contacts inside the switch got hot and melted the
plastic housing, deforming it enough to cause the rocker to bind. There
are no Sciroccos in the junkyards around here, and I refuse to give any
business to our local dealer, so I rebuilt the switch myself. I wouldn't
reccomend doing this unless you have a real good sense of how to
reassemble it, because there are a bunch of little springs and contacts
inside the housing. Your best bet is either to find someone on this list
who has a spare one lying around that they are willing to sell, or get a
new one from Mark at Adirondack Auto Parts (www.germanautoparts.com)

Keep the shiny side up,

Dan