Re: Seeking Advice....and lots of it!

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 IanBX10@aol.com wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> After some months lurking on the list, I have to say it is an excellent
> forum!

Welcome to the list, no lurking allowed!...kindding..

> I thought it was time to crawl out of the woodwork and seek your advice on
> the renovation of my completely stock European, Silver '82 1600 8V GTI 4
> speed.

I assume you are in europe? Is this a carberated model?

> My initial thoughts are "Where do I start?" There is no hurry to get the car
> back on the road so it will be possible to do the work over some months if
> necessary. Its determining where to begin that is my problem!

Well, based on assumptions(like 4speed 1.6l) I would change to a 5sp and a
1.8l or 2.0l if your looking for power.  Stick with an 8v, the wiring
needed to put in a 16v isn't worth it(sorry 16v guys...but it isn't)...of
course along with the motor and tranny, add a better flowing exhaust,
upgrade the brakes, maybe put in a more aggressive cam into the
engine...etc...etc...as the old saying goes, "You car can be as fast as
you want it to be, as long as you have a big enough wallet"

Handling is easy on Roccos...if you have a Euro GTI I would assume you
already have factory sway bars...which are decent, so upgrade the springs
and shocks(I really like my Bilstein/Hortech combo) and add an upper front
tie bar.....see how ya like it....

The list goes on and on....

Good luck!

Eric