Re: Seeking Advice....and lots of it!

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:56:17 -0400 (EDT) IanBX10@aol.com writes:
>Dear List,
>I thought it was time to crawl out of the woodwork and seek your advice
on
>the renovation of my completely stock European, Silver '82 1600 8V GTI 4
>speed.
>My initial thoughts are "Where do I start?"

Ah a new project. Cool!

Well, a great place to start is telling us about the car in question.
>From your message, it would seem you are in europe? Where are you
exactly?
What are the specs of your car?
Rated HP of your 1.6L?
Carbureted or injected?
Swaybars or no?
What size brakes?
Any mods or is it completely stock?

Then you get into your dream sheet. This would be what YOU want to do to
your car. Sit down with a few good magazines and go shopping. Find items
and ideas (from articles) that you like and write them down. (Also write
down the mag and page number so you can quick reference to it later)
Once you have a really big dream sheet, go back through it and prioritize
it as to things you want to do to the car first. Some things can wait for
a very long time, some things you just gotta have now.
Then, with your dream sheet in hand, pick the area of the car you would
like to upgrade or improve on first. Id say start with suspension first
and foremost. Then you can get into the brakes, intake, exhaust, engine,
interior, exterior in any order you like. Having a great suspension under
the car is key, I think, to any project.

Also don't forget you can buy used performance parts. Its a little
cheaper and you will get the same use out of them as if they were new.

>From the amount of responses you have gotten already from the list,
there is much interest in your project! :)

That's my input on the deal, I hope you find some of it usefull.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and