Re: '88 16v -- Hello!

> Hello everyone. I am new to this mailing list, having just bought my first
> Scirocco - an '88 16v. I LOVE IT! The handling is incredible, better than
> my old '81 RX7, and the power is great. There are a few minor problems with
> the car (sunroof doesn't open, A/C not working) but all in all I'm super
> happy.

Welcome to the mailing list!  We seem to be having new people joining up
quite frequently now, that's great.

> I have a dumb question for anyone who might know the answer: the A/C
> doesn't blow cold at all, so I suspect it's not even getting power to turn
> it on. The owner's manual mentions the A/C fuse is above the rest in the
> fuses box, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where to find the air
> conditioning fuse on an '88?

Well, I don't know the exact location of the fuse for the air conditioning
compressor electic clutch, but this may not be the problem.  When the
a/c system is discharged, the compressor clutch will not engage as a safety
mechanism of sorts.  With no freon in the system, the compressor would ruin
itself, so when no pressure is detected in the system, it doesn't run:  no
cold air possible.  Have someone check your system out to see if it's
charged, and I strongly suspect it's not.  I'm not sure how to locate the
leak either...fill the system with air and follow the hissing?  This is
probably not right...I understand that there was a dye that could be
pumped into the a/c system which would locate the hole.  a/c in older
cars can be a money pit due to the cost of finding and fixing leaks, the
cost of freon, or the cost of convering to a new refridgerent type like
R134a. We just had a discussion like this a while back, perhaps someone
else would chime in with their thoughts.

> I also have an interesting story. The bleeper that chimes at you to close
> door/fasten seatbelts/turn off lights, etc. was really annoying me, so I
> pulled it out. Ahh, peace at last (and everything still seems to work). The
> very next day I left my lights on at work and killed the battery! Oh, the
> humiliation.

I still have this chime, and as far as I know, it doesn't chime at me when
the lights are left on.  I've drained a battery in the past by doing the
exact same thing.

> Thanks in advance for any help with the fuse thing.

I hope this helps.

> (Sorry if this message gets posted twice. I'm using Compuserve for Internet
> access now and it's kind of screwy.)

It did.  It is. :-)

> -CZ

Laytron!