Re: '88 16v -- Hello!

Welcome to the list.

> I have a dumb question for anyone who might know the answer: the A/C
> doesn't blow cold at all, so I suspect it's not even getting power to turn
> it on. The owner's manual mentions the A/C fuse is above the rest in the
> fuses box, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where to find the air
> conditioning fuse on an '88?

I'm not sure where the fuse is, but the simplest thing to do (in my
mind) is to first see if you get power to the compressor.  If you
have a test light this will be simple.  If you don't then you need to
find that fuse.  If you do, then the problem most likely lies with a
loss of freon or a connection problem.  If you jump the low pressure
cut-off switch and the compressor runs, then you have low freon and a
leak.  You can see if there are any bubbles in the sight glass of the
reciever-dryer (located under the windshield washer resevoir on my
85, not sure if yours is the same).  It will be clear if the system
is full, bubbles mean it's low.  Clear could also mean it's
empty..... to tell which, feel the line that returns to the
compressor from the evaporator (which is inside the car).  It should
be cold if there's a decent charge in the system.  the hose leading
to the condensor (in front of the radiator) should get hot.

On mine, I had a problem with my compressor not engaging properly.
It turned out that a ground wire from the compressor wasn't
connected, just hanging loose.  Let's hope your problem is that
simple.

Got to go eat.......that should help give you things to check.

Rick
rsl@kendra.com
Richard.Lackner@entex.com
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg