Re: Query of electrical or mechanical faults...

> A battery's job is to start the car and run a few lights when the car is
> off, basically. Ive got a 1.8L US 1982 Scirocco, with electronic ignition
> ect. Its very well maintained actually.
> My concern is that with a dying battery, my alternator is putting out
> from 13.5V to 14V to charge and non fully charging battery and its not
> producing enough voltage to run the rest of the car. (IE Fuel pump,
> ignition, cooling system ect.)
>
> So, in a nutshell, that's my question.

Ok nutty, here's some more input  :)

If the voltmeter is reading 13.5 to 14V, then that's what is
available to the car to use to power things.  I'll bet that reading
didn't change when the charger was hooked to the battery.  What may
very well have changed was the amount of current.  Perhaps there's a
bad or weak connection  (relay?) in the fuel circuit that the
additional current was able to overcome.  If the Bentley has readings
for various test points in the fuel sysytem you may want to check
into that.  This should give a mind like yours some food for thought.

It may be a bunch of bull, but it was the best I could come up with
on short notice :)

Rick
rsl@kendra.com
Richard.Lackner@entex.com