Re: Query of electrical or mechanical faults...

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:46:53 +0800 "Rick Lackner" <rsl@kendra.com>
writes:

>Ok nutty, here's some more input  :)

I got'cher nutty! :)

>If the voltmeter is reading 13.5 to 14V, then that's what is
>available to the car to use to power things.  I'll bet that reading
>didn't change when the charger was hooked to the battery.  What may
>very well have changed was the amount of current.

I have a voltage gauge right next to my cig lighter so when the battery
charger was hooked up, I didn't look at it.
That is sort of how my thinking is working. Im a mechanical kind of guy,
I don't DO electrical.  Im thinking that the battery is drawing all the
current from the alternator and therefore there is not enough current to
run the rest of the world. Right? Does that make any logical sense? I
know the only real way to find out for sure is to replace the battery
but, since im as poor as poor people get without living in a cardboard
box, the battery will have to wait. Besides, I got exhaust problems at
the moment. Im probably gonna miss the Nov 2 autox! DAMN IT!

>Perhaps there's a
>bad or weak connection  (relay?) in the fuel circuit that the
>additional current was able to overcome.

True. I have replaced the fuel pump relay, and the relay that runs the ox
sensor ext. It seemed to run a little better after the new relay but who
knows. The only other thing I can think of is the wiring is just bad. Id
sure hate to have to get under there and dig out and replace all the old
wiring for the fuel pump. Anybody got a spare wiring harness they wanna
trade for a Scirocco T-shirt? (Im really into this bartering thing
lately! :)

>If the Bentley has readings
>for various test points in the fuel systems you may want to check
>into that.  This should give a mind like yours some food for thought.

It is, but the Bentley I have is for the GLi. : ( _

>It may be a bunch of bull, but it was the best I could come up with
>on short notice :)
>
>Rick
>rsl@kendra.com

Thanks for the bull Rick! Im sure your pretty busy with the "Fest" your
in and out of at the moment. heh-heh!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and