Re: Crossmember woes :-\

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 15:16:23 -0400 Etrik Patricella
<etrik@pure-research.net> writes:
>Yea, I thought it would be too,  but after closer inspection,
>looks like it is welded in with about 12 spot welds connecting
>it to the inner fender things, but there might be a few bolts
>connecting it to the things that the bumper bolts to (what are
>they called?) But I would bet on welds.  Well, it looks like
>its time to take her off the road for awhile :(.  I have a
>new hood and fender comming soon (YEAH!).  If I am going to
>do this job, I'll do it right, take the engine out, hood and
>fenders off.  I have to buy a MIG though ($$$) or maybe I can
>rent one?? Anyway, thanks for the advice and info (Chuck, Shawn,
>and who ever else)
>
>Etrik

I was under my car and saw what you said, Spot welds. An alternative is
to drill out the spot welds and use bolt on the new pieces and follow up
with a few welds for regidity. Once you drill out all the spot welds, its
just a matter of cutting the bondo material that the factory uses to
prevent corrosion (I forget the actual name of the stuff.)
As far as a Mig welder, you can use gas as well. I don't know which is
cheaper of the 3 welding options. (Gas, Mig, Tig.) Im sure you can
probably rent a welding set from any equipment rental outfit. GL!
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and