Re: Crossmember woes :-\

At 19:51 10/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I just have a few questions,  some of you may or may not know
>that my front crossmember (where the front motor mount is) is
>toast.  I have repaired it (halfassed) but would like to know
>if it can be replaced?  If not, anybody know how much it would
>cost to get it done? (I am guessing ALOT).  If it costs more
>than me going out and buying a small MIG welder and a grinder
>than I'll do it myself.
>
>Later

I will guess that buying replacement parts from the dealer would cost
dearly. If you can find a donor car (junkyard) you could cut out the
crossmember and part of the front frame members. Then you can cut the
replacement down to fit over the stub ends of the original frame, and MIG
weld it in. Of course, you need to make measurements on the original
crossmember to ensure that the new part ends up in exactly the same place.
It's not too bad a job in my opinion, but it probably means the engine and
transmission need to come out to give you working room - possibly the
fenders, too. That's how a body shop would do it.

Alternatively, you could make a patch from the donor car that just covers
the damaged area - bend the original beam down so the patch sits level in
the right place. This would give you some reinforcement. Make sure you weld
up any cracks or cuts in the dented down section before installing the new one.

Whatever you do - be sure to rustproof the repaired areas thoroughly. You
don't want it to rust out after all that work!

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)
'58 Ghia Convert