Re: Crossmember woes :-\

SHAWN C MEZE wrote:

> With as many hours as I have under my car, I'd say that its a complete
> unbolt job. I could be wrong on this. I found that the Jetta we bought
> had been in a front end collision and it was replaced this way. I see
> lots of bolts on the body/crossmember like it simply unbolts and you
> could bolt in a good one.
> HTH!
> I'll be out under my Scirocco tomorrow and i'll take a closer look for
> you.
>
>               Shawn Meze

Yea, I thought it would be too,  but after closer inspection,
looks like it is welded in with about 12 spot welds connecting
it to the inner fender things, but there might be a few bolts
connecting it to the things that the bumper bolts to (what are
they called?) But I would bet on welds.  Well, it looks like
its time to take her off the road for awhile :(.  I have a
new hood and fender comming soon (YEAH!).  If I am going to
do this job, I'll do it right, take the engine out, hood and
fenders off.  I have to buy a MIG though ($$$) or maybe I can
rent one?? Anyway, thanks for the advice and info (Chuck, Shawn,
and who ever else)

Etrik