Re: only in europe-gearing q'-CLARIFICATION-

> Ryan Schuermann wrote:
> >
> > I doubt his passat was 4000 lbs,
>
> I looked it up, and both manual and auto trans 2.0 Passats weigh between
> 2,900 and 3,000 pounds. Sorry I said 4,000.

My '79 with a 1.6 and approx 95hp has hit around 120, verified by my friend
in his Vtec Integra.

> and i know a few 90hp sciroccos and rabbits than can hit 110 no sweat,
> They can both hit 110, but I know there is a little sweat involved, and
> both cars weigh about 2,300 pounds

My car weighs less than 2K lbs.

> >plus i'm sure his passat is even more aerodynamic than my scirocco, all
>the corners were rounded, it looked like a bullet...
>
> My Scirocco has about the same aerodynamic coefficient of drag as a
> Passat.
>
> >he said it was all in the gearing. and that there was no way he got
>there any >time fast, but he would eventually reach that speed. Im sure
>with a tall enough >gearing you can reach it, as a few people have replied
as to be able to do just the >same thing w/ a modified gear box.

If the above were true landspeed record cars would only need 3 or 4 hundred
hp and  r&p ratio of .9 or .7 to hit 500mph, or a fifth gear of about .2,
or both.  Gearing will make up for hp up to a point, but not enough to make
a 3000lb car with 75hp go 150mph.

> > Ryan
>
> I stand by my original reply:
>
> 150mph would take, in my estimation, around 160hp in a Passat.

I think you need to revise your estimate upward a bit.  The VR6 Passat only
topped out at about 135-140 with 172hp.  The current Audi A4 with the 190hp
5V V6 tops out at 128 ( governor limited ).  If the car did not have a
governor, and it would actually hit the 6300rpm redline in 5th gear, it
would only hit 146mph.  It hits 128 at 5500rpm that equals
42.96mph/1000rpm, which would equal approx 146mph at 6300.  The A4 is
undoubtedly more aerodynamically efficient than the passat, at least it
looks like it is smoother.

> --
> Jim Buck,
> ES #99

ADP

"Listening to music is listening to all noise, realizing
that its appropriation and control is a reflection of
power"
 Noise - The Political Economy of Music. Jacques Attali.