Re: Crankcase Oil Baffles

steven_b@smtpgate.bcsew.edu wrote:

>         I have seen FAQs and posts here which describe an oil baffle that
>      reduces oil getting to the air box during high RPMs or hard cornering
>      (my greatest passions!).
>
>         What I want to ask, since the other posts gave part numbers, cost
>      and where to buy, and even a Technical Service Bulletin write up from
>      '87, is how easy is this to install?
>
>         Is it just a matter of dropping the oil pan and putting it in with
>      a new gasket?
>
>         I am dying to upgrade to this but want to be sure I am not
>      confused.  What tripped me up is the ads from Autotech, etc. which
>      fail to say these prevent oil from getting to the air box.  Their Oil
>      pan baffles (which I assume is what we are talking about here, right?)
>      are described as helping the oil pump do its job well.  Is that just
>      another great reason for doing this?
>
>         Thanks for any kick in the pants you can provide.
>
>         STEVE
>
>      '87 16V

Steve,
The baffle is only about $20 from your dealer.  If Autotech has the same
part number and you want to buy from them, go for it.  Once you get the
oil pan off, it is the easiest thing I have ever put on a Scirocco (I'm
not kidding).  It simply snaps on the oil pickup, just like the old one
snaps off.  You'll see when you get there.
The new baffle at first seems like it will reqire you to unbolt the
pickup, but you don't have to.  Just fiddle with it, and flex it into
position, then it will snap on perfectly.  To get the two bolts from
hell on the oil pan (you'll find them) take a 10mm wrench, and put the
open end of the wrench over the bolt at a perpendicular angle, then
stick a screwdriver through the closed end of the wrench for leverage,
and the bolt should turn.
To reinstall the bolts when you're done, simply tape the head of the
bolt to the end of a screwdriver with masking tape, and once they're
threaded, remove the tape and do the wrench trick again to torque.

That's how I did it.

Jim