Re: only in europe-gearing q'-CLARIFICATION-

Ryan Schuermann wrote:

> for all you people (and there were a LOT of you) I am positive
> the guy said 150 MPH...because he rattled it off in kph, then
> stopped, and said "er around 150 miles per hour"..because he kept
> throwing out phrases like "getting up to 200 clicks in no time",
> which on our confused faces he converted the kph to mph so we could
> better relate.
>
> someone actually did reply with some very helpful info about gearing
> and being able to reach that 150mph, which i'm going to start looking
> into.
>
> Ryan

Ryan, it's simply a matter of physics.  A 4,000 pound Passat, with the
high coefficient of drag the body generates, will not be able to reach a
speed of much over 100mph with 75hp. Formula Vee race cars with
incredibly low drag don't do 150.  150mph would take, in my estimation,
around 160hp in a Passat.  Tell that guy you have a New Beetle in your
garage and call it even.

Jim