Re: Which will provide more power?

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:46:14 -0700 Riley McDowall <mcm@intergate.bc.ca>
writes:

>> titanium billets??  it's well known that the exhaust cam on a 16v is a
>>good one and no serious gains are made     and BTW what does between
>1000.00 and 1600.00 mean to you?
>
>You said between 1000 and 1600 for the intake side ALONE.  Maybe it
>was a typo?  If someone can find an intake cam for that much $$ I'll
shut
>up...

I got a cam I will sell you for $2000! I'll hafta charge you extra for
shipping! Im easy!

>>      High octane gas    dude... it's a WELL known fact that the knock
sensor
>>ignition responds well to higher octane gas it adjust timing like 7
times

>I understand how a knock sensor works but the way you put it sounded
like
>if I ran 150 octane the ignition would advance to +60BTDC and I'd get
40hp.
>What I was trying to say is that unless your motor is getting REALLY
hot,
>hot enough that it started knocking even with 92 oct, going to 94 would
not
>get you 'noticable' hp.  Again if you can prove me wrong with dyno
results
>or acceleration times I'll shut up.

Actually "Dude", the knock sensor adjusts the timming constantly. I agree
with what your saying here Ryan, that's how I understood his reply as
well.
Something related to this. I just had my GLi smogged. It failed the test
because I forgot to retime the thing. I was at a cool shop that just
retimmed the car without even charging me for it and it passed. (Very
cool shop!) Anyways, before the timming was set to factory it was at 8
degrees. On the medium grade fuel (79 octane) it never pinged. On the
cheap stuff (87 octane), it pinged. Now that the timming is set to 6
degrees it pings almost all the time under load. Temp doesn't have
anything to so with it. it pings a few times and even tho the throttle
isn't changed, the pinging stops. Why? The knock sensor is fixing it and
when the ping is stopped the knock sensor adds timming again. Octane has
nothing to do with power, BTW.

>And I asked you to say 'in my opinion' because your whole post was put
>together from hypothetical engineering and numbers pulled out of the
air.
>The only reason I responded in the first place was because you put them
>forward as fact.  There's too many myths floating around the net as
is....

>   _____ __ __ __ _  _____ __  __ _____ _____  __ __ _  __ _____ __

This is something that im pretty adamant about! I feel it is everybody's
own responsibility to make it clear that any advice given is either fact,
or simply opinion. Just make it clear, there's nothing wrong with giving
an opinion on something when you are not sure about it or if you are
simply guessing. Just be sure to say so is all. It avoids alot of
problems for those who are looking for answers and if someone were to
give a guess dressed like a fact then when the person makes the repair as
described or buys the product and finds out after spending a couple
hundred bucks not to mention the time spent, that person gets screwed!
that's simply not right.
OK, nuff said.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and