scirocco repairs and ramblings/questions

After 4 cans of Engine Brite, my engine bay is finally clean!! Boy
does it look good. Anyways I also replaced my fuel filter, as I
bought one for my G60 conversion and went ahead and threw it in my
16v as I bet I was still using the orig one. That was real easy.

But I started my car up today and noticed a constant stream of white
smoke coming out of my exhaust..umm crap. It's not heavy, thick
smoke, but a whispy white,than when i rev the engine..I can literally
send out 'smoke signals'. I figure I'm burning oil? Upon inspecting
spark plugs 1 and 2 there was no oil or any residue on the plugs,
they are only 2 weeks old. I hadn't noticed this smoke ever before.
maybe I got some water in the engine as I was cleaning it? Or maybe
I need to install the new oil baffle whatever, as I can see oil
traces in the intake hose above the air-pressure plate... hrm also I just
'recharged' my K&N..doh! think that might be the cause of the white
smoke? The car runs great, man I'm just soo stoked over it after
cleaning out the engine bay..I should post an 'after' shot soon as I
already have a pic of my dirty bay on my website. It feels so good
to have a oil/sludge free block.

I was also noticing on the lower part of the intake manifold, there
are indentations on the driver's side of the runners..are these to
get better access at the bolts that hold it to the block? I wonder if
it affects the inside diameter of the runners at that point?

I'm fairly familiar now with the concept of upgrading to a 2.0L
shortblock on my 16v. If I'm cruising the junkyards, what years
and models VW would I be looking for as a possible 16v block?
Most places advertise 1200+ for one..dunno if it's even a 16ver,
but I think I can do cheaper picking the block up locally and have a
local machine shop do the labor...actually speaking of labor, what
can be done to the shortblock? Say I keep my 1.8L head stock (right?)
do I just bolt up the 2.0L shortblock and go..or can there be things
done to it? And is it worth it as I'm using the stock head.

any input appreciated,

Ryan
'87 16v Scirocco
'86 8v Scirocco ....either completely stripped or Rieger..depends on
your outlook.