Re: A bad thread

At 10:27 PM -0500 11/26/97, Jim Buck wrote:
>Jason Brunberg wrote:
>>I have myself a torque wrench, but I'm afraid I've
>> only got one socket that fits on it, and it isn't 17mm.  therefore, I
>> use my arms to their full extent to snug those lugs up tight.
>>
>> jason
>> the mad bastard
>
>Jason, you've got to get that socket, man.  If you over-tighten lugs,
>you run the risk of cracking your wheels, stripping threads and warping
>rotors.  Proper wheel lug torque is very important.

I agree - VWs recommended torque is something like 65 pounds.  I use 85,
based on the recommendation of my tire shop(not even a recommendation, just
what they use).  I can _easily_ go beyond 85 foot pounds with my arms and
body weight alone - too much torque is arguably just as bad as too little.
Your wheels won't fall off, but bad things can happen, like Jim mentioned.
Get the 17mm, use the 17mm, you'll be surprised how loose even 85 foot
pounds is!  I've never had a wheel fall off, but I have seen it several
times at autocrosses, damages ranging from absolutely none (scratches on
rotors) to broken rotors, bent control arms, wheel getting caught between
ground and body - it can get ugly.  If you overstress the threads, you run
the risk of a wheel falling off.  Better that it happens at an autocross
than on the highway at 70, but either way, it cramps your style to say the
least.  Best of luck, invest in that socket!

I.Mannix