Re: Removing Door Lock

---Yada yada....---
> screwdriver before I can shut the door.  The door lock has two allen type
> screws but I'm having trouble unlocking these screws.  My Bentley manual
> appears to suggest that "The outside door handle must first be removed for
> access to the door lock cylinder".  Is this true, or do I just need a bigger
> allen wrench that will give me more leverage and some WD40?

I just cleaned and lubed my driver's door mechanism today.  Here's some advice:

	-You need a big 5mm allen wrench (preferably on the end of a socket).
	-WD40 etc... will help if you can get it on the threads of the screws. Take
	the door handle off, you don't need to but it helps to see inside. besides,
	it's easy to remove.  Remove the silver stripping on the outside by prying
	with a fine screwdriver from the back., unscrew front screw, then  the screw
	on back of door.  Slide handle forward and out. Voila.
	-Unscrew & remove the lock knob.
	-when you get those pesky bolts out, pull the inner door handle as if you were
	opening the door.  From the bottom of the metal latch-box, insert a small
	flathead scewdriver into the access hole.  This holds the interior door-latch
	mechanism open, so that you can disconnect the bar that the latch pulls on.
	You'll see when you're working on it.
	-You may have some fun with the lock-knob bar, but have patience and don't
	force it if it won't come out at first.
	-Blow crap out of latch-box with compressed air
	-Soak/clean box in Varsol (also helps with yeast infections ;)
	-Blow crap out with compressed air again
	-I don't think you can dissassemble the latch-box without some blacksmithing
	skills, but you may be able to reset the spring if it's not broken.  Maybe
	even cleaning it will fix the problem.
	-Lubricate the moving parts with Automatic Transmission Fluid.  This really
	works like MAGIC.  Someone on the list mentioned it, so I tried it.  It makes
	me smile everytime I open my door now.  Smooth as sex. :)
	-When reinstalling, remember to use the screwdriver to hold the inner
	door-latch lever in the open position.  Makes things 100% easier.
	-I used loctite on the two allen bolts' threads.  I hope I can get them out
	later.

Hmm. Hope this helps a little.

Regards,
Chad Ptasinski