Re: Removing Door Lock

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:25:51 -0600 "Wayne Cressman"
<holymac@holymackerel.com> writes:
>A spring on my 86 16v driver's side door lock has failed or become
>disconnected, forcing me to manually open the lock actuating lever with
>screwdriver before I can shut the door.  The door lock has two allen
type
>screws but I'm having trouble unlocking these screws.  My Bentley manual
>appears to suggest that "The outside door handle must first be removed
for
>access to the door lock cylinder".  Is this true, or do I just need a
bigger
>allen wrench that will give me more leverage and some WD40?
>
>Regards,
>Wayne Cressman

Hi Wayne!

You can get in there through the door handle itself if need be but to
remove the door lock you don't have to. The door handle comes off quite
easily tho. All you will need is a small (#1) flat tip screw driver to
gently pry off the chrome cover on the door handle. Underneath is a
singly (#2) phillips screw. Remove it and the second screw is inside toe
door jam, next to the 2 hex bolts that hold to latch mechanism to the
door. Remove that screw and manure the door handle out of the door. This
should give you a good insight as to what's going on in there with the
spring.

I think the hex is a #6 allen wrench that holds on the latch mechanism.
They're pretty tight so put some oomph into it while being careful not to
strip the thing. They do tend to strip easily. You might even need to
take off the door panel if you cant get the latch out. A few screws and a
good long screw driver (if you don't have the door panel tool. I don't, a
long screw driver works for me.) should get the plastic clips loose for
you.

Be sure to try the WD40 or whatever type of liquid penetrant you might
have available to you. it definitely helps to keep the stripping to a
minimum.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and