Re: Update:STRANGE & SERIOUS PROBLEM!

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:18:04 -0700 Pushkar <pushkar.ogale@usa.net>
writes:

>In a matter of minutes the alternator acted up again. The lights
>brightened up intermittently and the belt squealed as the rpm's
>increased.

Hmm, ok so the regulator was fine then. Now im thinking its the bearings.
Does the alternator shaft turn smoothly?? This is very important! If it
has any kind of catch, its the bearings.

>So the problem still exists as before. After the drive I lifted the hood
>to check out and saw white smoke/fumes coming out of the alternator
>itself. I am lost! Don't know how to proceed.

white smoke....... electrical?? Maybe your burning/frying the aperture?
There's a way to test it but that would require tearing the alt apart and
putting it on a tool known as a "growler". It checks for shorts in the
aperture. Still, it sounds to me to be bearings.

>I spent half an hour getting the alternator out last night. I am going
>to take that in for a test at a local store.
>What do I ask them to look for in the alternator.

Im curious as to why you didn't do this the first time?? (have it
tested?) They will know what to test. They're gonna test for output. If
there is something wrong with it, it will show itself on the test bench.
Just tell then you changed the regulator and your still having problems
with it. That's all.

>Another thing is that the regulator I put in was a Hella regulator
>instead of a Bosch, but Mark Davison(Germanautoparts) said it was the
>same part. Would that make any difference? Personally I do not think
>so.

Naw, Mark took good care of you. it wont make any difference.
Now, get going! Test that ALT!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and