Re: STRANGE & SERIOUS PROBLEM!

At 11:10 11/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>	I was going to ask for help on Friday last week, but could not. Then I
>read Brandon's mail. I think I am having a problem which seems to be
>identical to the one Brandon i9s having.
>
>It is a 87 16V. the symptoms are slightly different. It started Thurday,
>the car started making squealing(belts) sound and the oil light cam on
>and stayed that way. Not a fashing but continuously on. So I stopped,
>check oil level, dumped a half quart to be safe. Started up car, then
>found out that it was creating the following.
>1) The belts squeal if I bring the rpms up.
>2) The oil light varies in intensity, at idle you cannot make out if it
>is on. As rpms go up to 3000 it is on at almost 3/4 intensity.
>3) This symptom is intermittent.
>then at night I found out that
>4) The lights become brighter as soon as the squealing and oil light are
>activated, and steady at other times. It feels as if you are flashing
>your lights.
>
>So what could it be?? I can think of only one thing that is causing
>this. The alternator. Some others have said voltage regulator.
>
>And the only reason I can think of for that going is that it dumped a
>whole load of coolant on the alternator when my top radiator hose blew a
>month or so ago.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
>
>	Pushkar Ogale

Your alternator is trying to generate full output during the time the lights
are bright and the belt is squealing. This is usually due to a bad regulator
- they don't particularly like baths!

A bad alternator (shorted diode, etc.) will cause squealing belts sometimes,
but will not generate lots of power. Try changing the regulator before the
battery boils dry due to overcharge...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)