Re: cis questions

Shawn wrote............

> I agree with what Brett said.
> Unless he's either got alot of cashola to put into a knock sensor (KS)
> project or he's got the mechanical ability to convert his system to a KS
> car, id avoid trying it. Like I said before, I know of alot of VW owners
> who have the 10-1 RD motor in their cars and each time I ask them for how
> they did the KS installation, they shocked me with, "I didn't install it.
> Its not on the car." And they always have a funny grin on their faces. I
> don't know what that's all about, but they claim it doesn't knock.

Yeh Yeh mine did'nt knock either without a KS..... Until about 20k
was on the motor & the carbon started to build up on the pistons & it
was ping city.  If someone says it doesn't ping in there car it will
one day,  Just find a road with a cement barrier or a tunnel  so the
sound bounces back to them when they are under load on a hot day.
Then they will hear it .
Unless you can get 95 & up octane ALL the time the KS is the only way
to go IMHO.
There is many different ways to go about retroing a KS into early
cars depending if you stick with your stock injection or change over
to the CIS-E injection.  I used 83 GTI injection with a relay to run
the Full Throttle Switch. Great setup just not smog legal.

> guy says he even has his timming set to about 8 degrees advanced without
> problems, except for when its really hot out. (typical) It pinged at low
> rpm under full throttle. But, if your gonna put in a 10-1 CR motor, you
> might as well go the KS system only because sooner or later, he's gonna
> want to put in a cam, do some head work, make it faster ect. Its better
> to have it on the car now so the later mods will be easier for him.
> Here I am, 8 months to my KS install and its still sitting in a box in
> the Pottermans garage.....
> Someday...

Yeh Someday we will get that thing in your car :-)

Potterman
Michael Potter
VIRTUAL WORLD PARTS
http://www.parts4vws.com