Re: cis questions

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:23:54 -0500 brett@kodak.com (Brett VanSprewenburg)
writes:

>> I can only comment on your mechanic's dumb ass comment: " the cis
>>would do no good on a different block.."

Id have to agree. It was not the most accurate comment ive heard this
year...
Id be careful what I take as fact from your mechanic. (unless he was
being really basic about the info he was giving to you.) I think a more
accurate statement would of been, "you can run any block you want and it
will work. Depending on the condition of the engine, it can run without
pinging, or it will always ping".

>Yeah, I agree with what Mark said.  Unless you're trying to take
advantage of
>a specific injection/spark feature like a knock sensor or OXY sensor,
then you
>are pretty free to decide.  For cheapest and best 'bang-for-buck' get a
JH
>1.8 8.5:1 motor (no knock sensor required) and maybe deck the head a
little
>to drive the compression up to ~9:1.  With good gas this will probably
still
>not need a knock sensor equipped ignition.   You can do quite a bit to
this
>motor for more performance.
>
>==Brett

I agree with what Brett said.
Unless he's either got alot of cashola to put into a knock sensor (KS)
project or he's got the mechanical ability to convert his system to a KS
car, id avoid trying it. Like I said before, I know of alot of VW owners
who have the 10-1 RD motor in their cars and each time I ask them for how
they did the KS installation, they shocked me with, "I didn't install it.
Its not on the car." And they always have a funny grin on their faces. I
don't know what that's all about, but they claim it doesn't knock. One
guy says he even has his timming set to about 8 degrees advanced without
problems, except for when its really hot out. (typical) It pinged at low
rpm under full throttle. But, if your gonna put in a 10-1 CR motor, you
might as well go the KS system only because sooner or later, he's gonna
want to put in a cam, do some head work, make it faster ect. Its better
to have it on the car now so the later mods will be easier for him.
Here I am, 8 months to my KS install and its still sitting in a box in
the Pottermans garage.....
Someday...

Like Brett mentioned, a JH block (and head for the matter) with the
shaved head will net about 9.2-1 CR and since im so poor, I use the cheap
gas (87 octane) and didn't see any pinging from my car all summer.
(Except for when I race, I like to use 92 octane in the tank.) HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and