CD Receivers - what size fits 87 MKII w. AC?

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a single CD Receiver, not a changer, in a 16V w. AC.
I've become concerned after looking in the Crutchfield catalog; their table
specifys the maximum depth available for an 84-88 Scirocco receiver to be 6
1/8".  Unfortunately, all of the CD Receivers listed in the catalog are 6
1/2" or larger.  Apparently the evaporator box limits the maximum receiver
depth.

Do all size E (Euro-DIN) units slide into a metal sleeve or is it possible
to mount one without a sleeve to save space?

Can any of you offer suggestions as to which CD Receiver models will fit?

Thanks very much,
Lee