Re: CD Receivers - what size fits 87 MKII w. AC?

Lee,

I went through the same thing about 4 months ago.  I was looking
for something with a "german" look about it.  All the decks I looked
at were overly complicated and busy looking with flashing disco ball
lights and all sorts of useless crap that I would never use.  I wanted
a deck that had the same sort of motif as the stock tape deck.
I ended up with a Blaupunkt "Miami" Deck.  Everyone warned me about
Blaupunkt ahead of time:  "They're not German made anymore,"
"The quality is poor,"  "You're nuts!" and so on...
Anyway, I am very pleased to say that the Blaupunkt unit
I have works great, and it looks spectacular in the Scirocco
console.  Once installed, it looks as though it had come
stock with the car.  The lights and color match the console perfectly.
I purchased the unit from Crutchfield, and the
sales guy warned me that the size of the unit was bigger
than the console would allow for.  I had originally planned
to make modifications (via my dremel) to the plastic
bracket, etc... But to my surprise the unit fits perfectly
without any modifications whatsoever, although I did fabricate
a securing bracket with the parts they supplied.

The only other problem I had related to the power source.  I had intended to
wire the deck much like the original radio, with a constant unswitched 12
volts.
Unfortunately if the deck has constant power, the LEDs stay illuminated and
display the time even when the deck is "OFF."  From a previous
experience I had, I know that a constant backlighting of these radios will
produce a burnout LED in about a months time, so I wound up wiring the
power to the ignition.  All this boils down to the fact that
I can no longer listen to the radio without turning the ignition on,
which is a very small sacrifice for me.

Good luck,

Dan
87 Scirocco 16V
(CD player does skip while going around corners above 45MPH )