Re: Rear shocks lower bolt

At 06:46 PM 5/23/97, you wrote:
>Hello people:
>
>I have replaced one shock, but the bolt at the bottom of the other one is
>stuck in the rubber. I mean it twists along with the rubber part at the
>bottom of the shock.
>
>I have hammered the hell out of the bolt from the inside in hopes it would
>begin to push through, but after one hour of that, I gave up. I applied all
>of the force necessary to turn it out, but it moves about 1/4 rotation and
>then springs back as if it is part of the rubber. Help!!!
>

>Paul Hanley

        Keyripes man,
        I go on vacation for 4 days and people are telling other people to
burn their cars and associated parts!

        Use a hack saw and cut up the side between the flange that hangs
down and the shock.  Cut the side opposite the head of the bolt first, this
way you can turn the bolt and cut it through.  Then cut the side closer to
the head and the shock comes out nicely.
        I got this tip from the VW machanics at Bill Barry VW in West
Hartford, CT. when I couldn't get the rears out of my 80.  Then when I
started to do it it looks like someone else had already done this once
before me!
        Hope I caught you in time!

					DOM!
					1980 VW Scirocco S in EP