Re: Rear shocks lower bolt

>        Keyripes man,
>        I go on vacation for 4 days and people are telling other people to
>burn their cars and associated parts!

Works great, too.  Try it sometime.

>        Use a hack saw and cut up the side between the flange that hangs
>down and the shock.  Cut the side opposite the head of the bolt first, this
>way you can turn the bolt and cut it through.  Then cut the side closer to
>the head and the shock comes out nicely.
>        I got this tip from the VW machanics at Bill Barry VW in West
>Hartford, CT. when I couldn't get the rears out of my 80.  Then when I
>started to do it it looks like someone else had already done this once
>before me!
>        Hope I caught you in time!

In lieu of a torch, this can work.  I prefer the fire method, it is fast
and fun.  Taken out many a shock/leaf spring this way.  Never had anything
blow up, but I am aware that things can explode - the rubber melts long
before the shock gets overheated, in my experience, which is about 12 years
of screwing around with old vehicles, first five years being involved in
the 4wd/offroad scene on the east coast - MA, to be exact - lots of rusty,
frozen bolts there, as you know.  Now that I have a reciprocating saw,
though, I might opt for dismemberment of obstinant bolts - only had a torch
to work with when I was younger.  FWIW.

Mannix(you going to Devens?  Hope to see you there!  Leaving Friday or
Saturday, be at the site for registration/tech on Friday 6.6.97)