Re: 16V head criticizms

chris gonzalez wrote:

> Hee hee, I bet all the 16V owners pounced on this message! ;)
>
> BUT SERIOUSLY
>
> Has anyone read the old articles by Robert Collins on VW performance?

Yeah.  I read it THREE times just to be sure I followed his train of
thought.  Apparently, and perhaps I read into it much too much, this
guy's just using those digests to hawk Drake Engineering's 16V engine.
I found it slightly amusing that he bashed VW for the way the 16V was
built, YET, out the other corner of his mouth, he said Drake made a
better 16V...better than the mighty Oettinger machines.  In my opinion,
and I do have one (ala Lush Rimbaugh), this guy was full of it.  His
entire diatribe was how lowly the 16V was and how a stock 8V had more
torque (yes, I agree on this point...to a degree).  Oh yeah, your 16V is
crap if it's from VW......BUT, if you get an identical engine from Drake
with improved airflow and hot cams, you can be forgiven your obvious
stupidity for buying the car in the first place.

I recall a specific comment he made that went something like, "have you
seen the inside of a 16V engine, it's enough to make you puke!"  I've
seen the inside of mine and I merely drooled :).  Well.....we're all
entitled to our individual thoughts.

> This is the guy who used to work for Drake way back.  I read the
> articles a few months back and was wondering how much truth there is >to it.

Hmmmm......weak attempt to hawk the Drake engine.  Don't get me wrong,
Drake Engineering is a very reputable tuner, one of the best....but the
price range of their engines made it a challenge to obtain.  Kind of
reminded me of designer jeans....am I paying for the material of for
someone's name to be stitched on my *ss?  Is Drake's Engine ALL THAT or
am I paying for a rehash and the name of Drake?  Also, since this guy
was so obviously in love with Drake, why'd he leave?  According to the
intro, he quit and was a computer guy now or something.  I admire his
loyalty to his previous employer but I had to wonder..........

>He basically denouces the 16V motor, saying "it is a weak puke of a
> motor." Is the article all marketing hype or what?  Some things that >he does say make sense...

Yep, the torque of the 16V being somewhat lacking.