Re: 16V head criticizms

On Fri, 23 May 1997 16:07:13 +0000 Stephy G <gillS1@zianet.com> writes:
>chris gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> Hee hee, I bet all the 16V owners pounced on this message! ;)
>>
>> BUT SERIOUSLY
>>
>> Has anyone read the old articles by Robert Collins on VW
>performance?
>
>Yeah.  I read it THREE times just to be sure I followed his train of
>thought.  Apparently, and perhaps I read into it much too much, this
>guy's just using those digests to hawk Drake Engineering's 16V engine.
>
>I found it slightly amusing that he bashed VW for the way the 16V was
>built, YET, out the other corner of his mouth, he said Drake made a
>better 16V...better than the mighty Oettinger machines.  In my
>opinion,
>and I do have one (ala Lush Rimbaugh), this guy was full of it.  His
>entire diatribe was how lowly the 16V was and how a stock 8V had more
>torque (yes, I agree on this point...to a degree).  Oh yeah, your 16V
>is

Hold on there, If I remember right he was saying the problem was with the
exhaust valves being perpendicular to the piston surface, causing bad
flow characteristics.  course I never had a 16v head off so I dont know,
but, I believe he then said that Drake, and oettinger had redesigned and
created their own heads (not redone vw heads) with better valve angles.
I always thought that oettinger just "tweaked" stock heads but I really
never looked into it.

Now regarding his loyalty to the company, If you had imput on the heads
design, wouldnt you stick behind your work?  I cant remember his position
in the company but I'll assume he played some part.

Now, I think we would have all disregarded most of this writing, even I a
die hard 8v'er cant say a 16v is junk.  They are different, drive
different, have nicer top ends, poorer bottom ends when compared to an
8v.  These articles let me down, I dont know what I had expected but it
was definately more than that.

Kyle