steering rack...power to manual

I have a 1988 16v Scirocco with a leak in the power steering rack
gearbox.  The question that I had was, is there a common fix for this
or  is this not a common problem.  If there isn't a common fix for this
can I just take the steering rack from a scirocco or rabbit and replace
the whole thing in my car or is there something that needs to be added
with it.  I talked to my local vw dealer and they said that I would need
an aftermarket kit to do this, but if I replaced everything including
the gearbox for the steering what would be the problem.  Am I going
about this wrong.

Joshua Johnson