Re: steering rack...power to manual

In a message dated 97-05-20 15:39:02 EDT, eldeco@eldecoinc.com (David Riley)
writes:

<<
 I have a 1988 16v Scirocco with a leak in the power steering rack
 gearbox.  The question that I had was, is there a common fix for this
 or  is this not a common problem.  If there isn't a common fix for this
 can I just take the steering rack from a scirocco or rabbit and replace
 the whole thing in my car or is there something that needs to be added
 with it.  I talked to my local vw dealer and they said that I would need
 an aftermarket kit to do this, but if I replaced everything including
 the gearbox for the steering what would be the problem.  Am I going
 about this wrong.

First the easy fix for the power rack is to replace it. However a manual rack
from any Manual Transmissioned Rabbit, Jetta1, or Scirocco will fit. The
automatic racks don't have the mounting bracket for the shift linkage.
While at this think about a quick steering gear kit, or solid/urthane
bushings they made a difference on my scirocco.

NJScirGTX
84 Scirocco GTX
Steve Toughill (NJ Soon)